Skip to content Skip to footer
Licensing Advice Project

Welcome to the Licensing Advice Project at Citizens Advice Westminster

The Licensing Advice Project (LAP) provides a free, independent, impartial and confidential information, advice and representation service to residents, residents’ groups and businesses in Westminster on their rights and responsibilities as ‘interested parties’ relating to Licensing Act 2003 and related legislation; Gambling Act 2005; and Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1985.

Licensing Act 2003

The Licensing Act requires premises intending to sell/supply alcohol by retail, provide late night refreshment or provide regulated entertainment to apply for a premises licence. Premises which already hold a premises licence such as bars, restaurant, nightclubs and pubs can also apply to open later or to change conditions on their licence.

More about the Licensing Act

Gambling Act 2005

The Gambling Act covers applications involving betting shops, and requires licensing authorities to ‘aim to permit’ gambling, subject to a number of factors. There are two main types of betting shop application: for a new betting shop, or an extension of hours for an existing betting shop.

More about the Gambling Act

Local Government Act 1982

This Act (as amended by Policing and Crime Act 2010) categorises lap-dancing and similar premises as sexual entertainment venues (SEVs). When the amendments to the Act came in to force in it required each premises providing relevant entertainment to reapply for an SEV licence, unless they were exempt under the Act.

More about the Local Government Act


More News »