Skip to primary navigation | Skip to sub navigation

Frequently asked questions

Q. I am disturbed by a pub near me. What can I do about it?

A. Depending on the type of problems caused, you can report them to the Council and/or call for a “review” of a licence. A review is your opportunity to ask for changes to be made to the way the premises is run, including opening times. Alternatively, we can help to resolve problems outside of the formal review process. For more information and assistance just call us on 020 7706 6029.

Q. I am kept awake until the early hours of the morning by noisy customers on their way home. Is there anything I can do about noise that is not coming from the pub itself?

A. You can report this kind of “anti social” behaviour to the City Council on 020 7641 3000 (community intelligence line). They will keep records of your complaints and advise you. If the problem is ongoing, however, you can call for a review of the premises licence, asking for the premises’ opening hours to be reduced. Noise coming from premises can also be reported to the City Council’s Noise Team on 020 7641 2000.

Q. I have heard that a premises near me has applied to stay open longer. What can I do?

A. You are entitled to make a “representation”, putting your views to the Licensing Authority. We can assist you with this – contact us.

You can also consult our guide for more information on how to object to a licensing application under the Advice section. We can help you to draft the letter.

Q. Where can I find out more information about the application?

A. The Council’s fully searchable Licensing Register should have the application form and other helpful documents available to view.

Q. I have seen that another betting shop wants to open in my area. What can I do?

A. Residents have the right to object to betting shop applications, as ‘interested parties’. The grounds for objection are different to Licensing Act 2003 applications, and the law says that Councils have to ‘aim to permit’ gambling. It is therefore important to obtain good advice about what you can do.

Q. I have been invited to a hearing. What do I do?

A. You will need to inform the Council that you are attending the hearing. You will then be sent a copy of the hearing papers. These may contain proposals by the Applicant to reduce the scope of the application, or add conditions. The Licensing Advice Project represents residents at these hearings.

Q. I am worried that I don’t have a lawyer and won’t be able to do all this on my own.

A. We can advise you and represent you if necessary, free of charge. Please contact us for more advice